Is your cat a master of the disappearing act? Do you find yourself constantly worrying about their whereabouts? Well, fret no more! With the help of GPS tracking, you can now keep tabs on your adventurous cat and help ensure their safety at all times.
GPS tracking technology has revolutionised the way we track and locate objects, and it's no different when it comes to our beloved cats. By attaching a small, lightweight GPS tracker to your cat's collar, you can easily monitor their movements in real-time, right from your smartphone or computer. Whether they're exploring your local park or hiding in a secret spot, you'll always know where they are.
Not only does GPS tracking provide peace of mind for pet owners, but it also helps in locating a lost cat quickly. With the ability to track their whereabouts with precision, you can respond promptly if they wander too far from home. This can be especially crucial in ensuring their safety and reducing the chances of them getting into any dangerous situations.
The benefits of using GPS tracking for cats
The benefits of using GPS tracking for cats are numerous and significant. One of the key advantages is the peace of mind it provides to pet owners. Cats are known for their curious nature and tendency to wander off, which can cause a great deal of anxiety for their owners. With GPS tracking, you can monitor your cat's location at any given moment, giving you the reassurance that they are safe and sound.
GPS tracking can be a lifesaver in the event that your cat goes missing. Cats are notorious for their ability to sneak out of windows and doors, and it can be extremely stressful trying to locate them. By using a GPS tracker, you can quickly and accurately pinpoint their location, making it easier to find them and bring them back home.
Another benefit of GPS tracking for cats is the ability to set virtual boundaries. Many GPS trackers allow you to create "safe zones" for your cat, such as your backyard or the immediate area. If your cat strays outside of these predefined boundaries, you'll receive an alert on your phone, allowing you to take action immediately.
Understanding how GPS tracking for cats works
To understand how GPS tracking for cats works, let's take a closer look at the technology behind it. GPS, which stands for Global Positioning System, is a network of satellites that orbit the Earth. These satellites transmit signals that can be picked up by GPS receivers, such as the ones found in GPS trackers.
When you attach a GPS tracker to your cat's collar, it constantly receives signals from the GPS satellites and uses them to calculate its exact location. This information is then transmitted to a central server, which you can access through a smartphone app or a web portal. By using the app, you can see your cat's location in real-time, as well as view their historical movements.
It's important to note that GPS tracking for cats requires a clear line of sight to the GPS satellites. This means that if your cat is indoors or in an area with heavy tree cover or tall buildings, the GPS signal may be weakened or blocked. However, most GPS trackers have built-in features that compensate for these limitations, such as using Wi-Fi or other signals to determine the cat's location when GPS is unavailable.
Choosing the right GPS tracking device for your cat
With so many GPS tracking devices available, it can be overwhelming to choose the right one for your cat. Here are a few factors to consider when selecting a GPS tracker:
- Size and weight: Cats are known for their agility and ability to squeeze into tight spaces. Therefore, it's important to choose a GPS tracker that is small and lightweight, so it doesn't hinder your cat's movements or cause discomfort.
- Battery life: Look for a GPS tracker with a long battery life, especially if your cat spends a lot of time outdoors. You don't want the tracker to die in the middle of the day, leaving you without any way to locate your cat.
- Waterproof: Cats are notorious for their love of mischief, which often leads them to explore wet and muddy areas. Make sure the GPS tracker you choose is waterproof, so it can withstand any unexpected encounters with water.
- Range and accuracy: Consider the range and accuracy of the GPS tracker. Some trackers have a limited range, meaning they won't be able to track your cat if they wander too far from home. Look for a tracker with a wide range and high accuracy for optimal performance.
Our favourite GPS trackers for cats
- Apple Airtag. There may have been a recent trend of using AirTags to track luggage when you go on holiday, but AirTags are also great for tracking your cat. You can buy collars that have a space to place the AirTag such as the Cheshire & Wain Reflective Apple AirTag Collar Case that can be attached to their collars. Using an AirTag and collar combination like this is a great affordable way to track your cat. Cheshire & Wain offer their AirTag collar in a variety of beautiful colours.
- Tractive. Tractive have been selling dog trackers for a while and recently launched their cat version. We love the ethos of Tractive as a company - they are not only focused on using tracking for the safety of pets, but recently when we spoke to them at the Pet Innovation Summit, they talked about how they are focused on using their technology to identify potential medical issues in animals going forward.
- TabCat. Simply attach the lightweight (under 5 grams) tag to your cat’s collar and you can quickly locate it using the credit card-sized handset. A splash-proof cover (supplied) protects it from the elements and from any knocks, bumps or scratches.
Ones to watch: Whistle. Currently only available for Dogs in the UK, Whistle is a company focused on using trackers to monitor animal health. This company was acquired by Mars Petcare a while back and so we expect big things from them to advance the pet wearables industry.
Conclusion: Ensuring the safety and wellbeing of your cat with GPS tracking
In conclusion, GPS tracking technology offers a convenient and effective solution for keeping tabs on your adventurous cat. With the ability to monitor their movements in real-time and track their location with precision, you can ensure their safety and well-being at all times. Whether they're exploring the local area or hiding out in a secret spot, you'll have the peace of mind knowing exactly where they are.
When choosing a GPS tracker for your cat, consider factors such as size, battery life, waterproofing, and range. Additionally, explore the various additional features and functionalities offered by different trackers to find the ones that best suit your needs.
Remember to use GPS tracking effectively by ensuring a proper fit, regularly checking battery life, setting up safe zones, and keeping software up to date. By following these tips, you can make the most of GPS tracking for your cat and enjoy the benefits it provides.
Subscribe to our newsletter to get 10% off your first order.